How Grocery Store Distributors in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina Can Excel at Supply Chain Management
Anyone who works in the supply chain management business knows that no two days are alike. Especially when dealing with fragile or perishable goods there are often problems to be solved. While troubleshooting is a normal part of the job, there are steps you can take to maximize your supply chain management skills.
What is Supply Chain Management?
A supply chain is a network that controls the flow of goods and services between a company, its suppliers, and its customers. This network includes everything from transforming raw goods into products to distribution and sales.
Managing the supply chain well allows retailers to cut excess costs and deliver products to the consumer faster.
How Can a Grocery Store Distributor Improve Its Supply Chain Management?
- Work with the right suppliers. – While every business owner tries to cut costs, it’s even more important to select a reliable company. Research suppliers to find those with a good reputation for integrity, quality, and customer service.
- Invest in your staff. – Employees who know you’re interested in their growth will go the extra mile. Staff development strategies can include a formal training curriculum, on-the-job training, coaching, and rotation through multiple assignments. This way everyone on your team gets the chance to understand how the supply chain process works and how it impacts them.
- Always Try to Improve. – Once you have a smooth operating system, make sure to regularly monitor and evaluate it. That is the best way to ensure that you and your team are working at maximum efficiency and minimal cost.
- Keep on Top of Technology. – Technology can help you gain a competitive advantage. Select software that will serve you best. For example, a Warehouse Management System makes it easy to collect data, track, document, and evaluate the effectiveness of your supply chain management. You might also investigate Transport Management Software. This computerized shipping and tracking system integrates all operations from one panel. If you’re able to have an app on your phone, you can organize inventory data, manage shipping schedules, and monitor distribution no matter where you are.
- Improve How You Manage Returns. – It’s easy to focus more on the stock going out rather than the items coming back in. A strong returns system makes it easier for you to both re-process and re-manufacture goods, so you can serve customers quickly and efficiently. A good start is to track everything. One damaged item might not be a big deal, but several in a few days can signal a larger problem. Also, invest in returns prevention software. This can access key data stores within your business and work well with your merchandising and warehouse management software. A well-functioning returns management process can have a positive impact on customer perception and trust. A satisfied, repeat customer will lead to referrals and a bigger profit yield.
Why Choose Atlantic Dominion Distributors?
We’ve developed strong relationships with national manufacturers to ensure our supply chain always runs smoothly and that your shelves are never empty. Working with Atlantic Dominion Distributors gives you access to all the products offered by grocery distributors in Virginia, store distributors in North Carolina, and grocery supply distributors in South Carolina.
We carry a large selection of name-brand and popular products as well as next-day delivery. We’d love to work with you! To get started, contact us today at (757) 497-1001.